Main & Sewer Line Services in Plano, Rockwall & the Surrounding Areas
Get Your Sewer Line Unclogged Today With Staggs Plumbing
Your home’s sewer system takes all the dirty water from sinks, toilets, and washing machines through a series of pipes inside your house out to the city’s sewer system. These pipes, usually PVC (or older homes may use iron), are flushed whenever water is run through them. They get rid of the waste through gravity instead of some internal pressure like the water lines that come into your home.
Over time, these pipes can get clogged, either by nature or by someone inside the house.
Tree roots are a major culprit. As they grow, the roots can impact the pipes, or even if there is the smallest crack in a pipe, the roots will seek it out and find a way inside. Sometimes, we will clear out a blocked drain due to small toys or large wads of paper products.
Warning Signs of a Clogged Sewer Line
- When taking a shower, water isn’t draining properly, and you find yourself standing in water even when the shower has been turned off.
- The bathtub takes a long time to drain, perhaps even gurgling as it eventually drains out.
- Toilets are not flushing properly, and water remains in the bowl, perhaps slowly draining.
- There is an odor outside of your house, perhaps near where the drain pipes exit your home.
- Drains in one or more sinks are draining slowly.
- You often hear gurgling sounds when flushing the toilet.
- There are damp areas on your yard long after rain or sprinklers have been running, perhaps with a foul odor.
Causes of Clogged Drains & Sewer Pipes
- Invasion of tree roots or other plant-based objects
- Excess paper or nonorganic products flushed down the toilet
- Fat poured down the drains
- Small dead animals stuck in the pipes or drains
- Accumulation of hair and soap scum
How to Fix Sewer Blockages
Depending on the type of block, we have several tools at our disposal.
Condensation on the water pipes or even a small leak will attract tree roots. To clear out this clog, Staggs Plumbing will send down a device to cut through the tree roots and clear the blockage. Then, we’ll need to assess if the pipe needs repairing. Since these are typically outside of the house, it makes the location a little easier.
This involves sending down a high-pressure water jet to clean out debris stuck to the pipes. We try to limit the use of any chemicals in this process to avoid damaging the pipes.
Relining the Pipes
For cracked or broken pipes, plumbers can also insert a new “sleeve,” which is a pipe that slides inside the existing section of pipe. This can help reduce the amount of digging or demolition of your house structure.
How To Prevent Clogged Sewer Lines
Staggs Plumbing offers a maintenance solution where we come over regularly and clean out the sewage pipes to minimize the risk of clogs. This is useful if you do a lot of cooking and send a lot of food or grease down the garbage disposal unit.
Some other tips we can recommend to help reduce the chance of blocked or slow drains:
- Run hot water down the sink along with some soap or dishwashing liquid for several seconds. However, make sure when you run your garbage disposal unit, you only use cold water to prevent the unit from overheating.
- Remove any accumulated hair or soap scum from your sinks weekly.
- Remove hair from the drain in your shower or bathtub. You can purchase a very inexpensive plastic tool that slides into the drain and pulls hair out. See your local home improvement store.
- Run some ice through your garbage disposal unit once a month, along with some table salt, flushing it with cold water and a piece of lemon to help reduce any nasty odors.
- Buy a mesh screen to go over your shower and bathtub drains to collect hair before it goes down the drain.
- Wash pets outside if possible to reduce the chance of fur and fluff in the tub drain.
- Mention proper use of the toilets to your kids. This is not a swim test for Barbie or G.I. Joe!
- Buy a plunger from your local home improvement store to assist with the occasional toilet backup. However, if you have to use it frequently, there’s probably another plumbing issue that we need to look at.
Things You Shouldn’t Put Down Your Drain
Small toys or food scraps are common items that can clog your kitchen sink or bathroom drain. To keep your sewer lines clear, avoid putting these things down the drain:
- Grease or cooking fats
- Bottle caps
- Coffee grounds
- Thick bread
- Cat litter
- Motor oil
- Dental floss
- Paint or other solvents
- Small toys
Sewer Line Repair & Replacement Services in Plano
Staggs Plumbing does more than unclog drains. We offer a full range of sewer services, including main sewer line repair, replacement, and cleaning. It is critical to get the proper help to repair or replace the sewer lines as soon as possible to avoid damage.
Traditional Sewer Line Repair or Replacement
The traditional sewer line repair or replacement is typically performed using a backhoe to dig up the area surrounding the line, allowing easy access to the problem area. Once the repair is made, the backhoe is used to refill the area.
This option may be the only option at times, depending on the condition of your pipes, their configuration, or where you live.
Trenchless Sewer Line Repair Methods
Trenchless repairs involve making small access holes where the damaged pipe starts and ends. A new pipe is then pulled through the existing pipe, which bursts the old pipe into pieces while simultaneously laying the new pipe.
Trenchless repairs cause less damage to yards and driveways than traditional repair methods because only the dirt at the beginning and end of the line is disturbed.
Over 30 Years of Service
0% financing for 36 months