The water and sewer lines under your home’s concrete foundation can be break, crack, and start to leak over time. When this happens and slab leaks arise, you can be dealing with a plumbing emergency—and the sooner you call a Dallas plumber at Staggs Plumbing, the better!
Contact Staggs Plumbing at 972-379-4000 for emergency slab leak repair in Allen, Plano, Dallas, and throughout North Central Texas!
Our 24-hour emergency plumbers are ready to help you find and fix slab leaks ASAP. With our expertise and state-of-the-art equipment, we’re the team you can always count on for fast service and flawless slab leak repairs!
What Is a Slab Leak & What Causes Slab Leaks?
Your home’s concrete foundation, or the “slab”, can shift with weather and soil changes. That’s because, in North Central Texas, the soil has a high clay content, which causes it to expand in the dry heat and contract in the wet cold.
As this occurs, the heavy concrete slab can move around, stressing the water and sewer lines that come up through the foundation. These lines include:
- Cold water supply lines from the city water utilities
- Hot water lines for your water heater
- The sewer and drain lines
Over time, this can result in:
- Additional friction and pressure between the foundation and the underlying water and sewer lines
- Pipes and joints weakening
- Water and sewer lines developing cracks, breaks, and/or holes
- Slab leaks
Once you have a slab leak, water can make its way up through microscopic cracks in the concrete foundation, resulting in foundation leaks.
Does Your Dallas or Plano Home Have a Slab Leak?
Homeowners might not know if they have a slab leak until several days, weeks, or even months after it starts. A big reason for this is that it can take time for leaking water to make its way up through a concrete slab and start to give off warning signs, like:
- Warm spots on the floor
- Sounds of running water in your home when no plumbing appliances or fixtures are running
- A hot water heater filling back up when hot water has not been used
- Damp flooring and/or walls
- Signs of water damage on floors and/or walls
- Moldy smells around your home or a rotten egg-like smell coming from your water
- A running water meter when no water is being used in your home
- Spikes in your water bill
If you notice any of these warning signs of slab leaks, contact Staggs Plumbing ASAP! Our expert Dallas plumbers are ready to perform a thorough inspection and leak test to help you figure out what’s going on and get it fixed.
Contact Staggs Plumbing at 972-379-4000 for emergency slab leak repair in North Central Texas!
Can a Slab Leak Be Ignored?
If gone unchecked, leaks under the foundation of your home will cause significant structural damage, affecting the value of your home and potentially exposing your family to mold risks.
A delay in detection and repair will eventually end up costing more, as the leak causes more damage. Many of our customers are shocked to find out just how much damage a relatively small leak can cause over time.
The short answer, obviously, is to have slab leaks fixed ASAP by calling the expert plumbers at Staggs Plumbing.
How to Detect Slab Leaks in Dallas & Plano, TX
Slab leak detection devices are used to locate breaks in water supply lines. Here’s how this is typically done:
- The water supply to a house is turned off.
- The plumber will force air into the lines to push out the remaining water.
- Once water has been removed from the supply lines, air will escape from the cracks in the water line.
- Using the slab leak detection device, the plumber will listen for the sound of escaping air to zero in on exactly where the leak(s) are occurring.
It is important to work with a plumbing company that is experienced in locating slab leaks. If they can’t accurately detect the source of the leak, you could end up facing bigger headaches and more costs—especially if more foundation needs to be excavated or some leaks are overlooked.
Staggs Plumbing has been repairing slab leaks since 1990 and has received numerous consumer awards for exceptional service and results. When you want the job done right the first time, your best move is to contact Staggs Plumbing for expert slab leak detection and repair in Dallas and Plano, TX!
Contact Staggs Plumbing at 972-379-4000 for slab leak repair in Plano, Dallas, and throughout North Central Texas!
How to Repair Slab Leaks in Plano & Dallas, TX
Once the source of the leak has been located, there are normally two options to access the broken pipe.
Slab Leak Repair With Tunnels
This method requires digging a tunnel under your house large enough for the plumber to crawl through and access the broken pipe(s). The plumbing company will normally find the closet outside wall to the source of the leak and tunnel directly to it.
Tunneling is a labor-intensive process that can take several hours to complete, depending on the distance. Once the tunnel has reached the leaking pipe, it is normally a quick process to repair or replace the damaged line.
Digging Up the Concrete Slab to Repair Leaks
This method involves jackhammering through the concrete of your home’s foundation. Since the concrete can be 8 to 15 inches thick, a commercial-grade jackhammer is required to break through the slab.
Repairing the Broken Water or Sewer Line
Water and sewer lines can be made of different materials, like PVC, copper, or even iron in some older Dallas-area homes. If there is significant corrosion in copper or iron pipes, Staggs Plumbing will replace sections of pipes to avoid further degradation.
Repairs to a simple break in the water line usually involve cutting out and replacing the damaged section of pipe. If copper is being replaced, it will be “sweated” on with a torch and solder. PVC pipe fixes will need to use the appropriate type of PVC glue for high-pressure water lines.
Contact Staggs Plumbing at 972-379-4000 for slab leak detection and repair in North Central Texas!
Slab Leak Repair Costs in Dallas & Plano, TX
The costs of slab leak repair depend on several factors, like:
- Where the leak is located
- How many leaks are present
- Whether tunneling and/or digging is necessary
- The nature of your pipes and, specifically, whether repair or replacement is required
Often, slab leak detection is covered by a homeowner’s insurance policy, but you may be responsible for the deductible plus an amount to actually fix the broken pipe. Check your insurance policy and ask your insurance agent for clarification. If you need an estimate, simply contact Staggs Plumbing.
Call Staggs Plumbing at 972-379-4000 to get an estimate for slab leak detection and repair service at your Dallas or Plano home!
How to Choose the Right Plumber for Slab Leak Detection & Repair in Dallas & Plano, TX
- Ask for referrals from people you trust.
- Look for top-rated Dallas plumbing companies online.
- Check the plumbing company’s rating with the Better Business Bureau.
- Verify a plumber’s licensing and credentials.
Don’t have time for this? Then, just contact Staggs Plumbing at 972-379-4000 for a top-rated slab leak repair company in North Central Texas!
Staggs Plumbing has built a reputation by word of mouth. The consistent work we receive from referrals is one of the biggest compliments we get.